What causes weight gain and fatigue after having Wysolone?

Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju

Nephrologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi My mom is suffering from Mystenia Garvis, and she is prescribed with Wysolone (10,20,40mg), mycept and myestin 60mg.She has been taking these medicines from past 2 months. She is having side effects likes increase in weight, sweating, fatigue etc. So her concern is long term side effects like diabetes, or effects on lungs or kidney. Are these medicines going to effect any of body parts and lead to another disease? If yes, could you please tell us how to overcome this.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
It has some ill effects.

Detailed Answer:
Steroids (wysolne) has significant side effects despite the fact that the most frequently used drug by immunologists, nephrologists and Physicians for various indications. Yes. As you are rightly worried about, it is known to lead to high BP, diabetes, decrease in bone density, ulcers in stomach, weight gain , unnecessary hair , cataract etc. But all these things happen only when this drug is given for several years. What ever the weight gain she had, would decrease or disappear as soon as starts tapering the dose and stopping it after few months.

As doctors, we all know about the adverse effects of steroids and we are all careful in dealing with it. Still some patients unusually get some complications. See that she takes the tablet once a day immediately after breakfast early in the morning so that some of these complications can be avoided. Ask her to decrease the amount of salt in the diet. Let her do some physical activity regularly so that some of the ill effects of steroids would come down early.

Mycept has few intestinal problems like bloating of abdomen, loose motions etc. There can be some effects on body system leading to infections which is also aggravated by the steroid intake. She should take small frequent meals avoid heavy meals. She should be encouraged to take curd and avoid milk and milk products for few months. They don't have any direct effect on kidneys and can be given safely even in kidney disease.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 21 hours later
Thanks Dr. Sree

This information was really helpful. Another question my mom had is that how long her medicine will go. Her thymus gland test in fine. And she has been taking medicine from past 2 months and her worry is that does she have to take medicines whole life. If not, are there any chances that she can suffer this again or how we can avoid it to happen again.
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
She would require it for a long time albeit in small doses.The doses would be tapered as she manifests the improvement in her symptoms. A small dose would be continued( at around 5 mg ) for a long time and MMF also would be given for a nearly 2 years depending on the improvement. But all the adverse effects would be monitored like liver function , Complete blood picture etc frequently. Most important is that she should not be symptomatic with myasthenia.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 3 days later
My mom said that she is alright but she sometimes gets headache on one side of head. Is it due to this MG? It looks like she doesn't have any symptoms. How long she have to take medicine?
Her thymus gland is fine but another question she have is if antibodies become -ve, should she stop taking medication. Or it may start increasing again and she can get MG again?
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
Headache is not related to MG.

The kidneys are affected by MG. The duration of therapy, need of alternate drug therapy, significance of antibodies, when to stop medication and possibility of relapse. etc., would be better discussed by a neurologist. Please refer your case history to a neurologist and take the opinion and you can get back to me if required again.

Hope this helps.