What causes watery vaginal discharge post abdominal hysterectomy?

Posted on Thu, 16 Apr 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I just recently had a total abdominal hysterectomy a month ago. Everything seemed to be going well until about 3 weeks post surgery. I am having a lot of watery discharge which I thought was urine so my OB/GYN did a test to see what it was, but I think the young lady in the office ordered the wrong test. I am going through several pads a day and I have a CT Scan with IV Contrast scheduled in the morning to get a clear picture of my abdomen and pelvic area to see where the issue lies. Have you ever heard of a patient experiencing this after a total abdominal hysterectomy? Please help!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sounds like a fistula.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
What you say sounds ominously like a fistula.
Most commonly, a vesico vaginal fistula.
Was this an open surgery or a laparosopic one ?
What was the indication for hysterectomy ?
What does the histopathology say ?
Lots of questions I know, but then the issue demands answers.
A vesico vaginal fistula is a known complication of a hysterectomy, wherein part of the bladder is stitched to the vaginal wall unknowingly.
It is a rare complication, but not very rare.
About 1 - 5 % .
Certain factors increase the risk of developing such a fistula post surgery - endometriosis, obesity, adhesions, prior surgeries, inexperienced surgeons etc.
Rarely, it could be a fistula ( track ) between the vagina and the ureter also.
You are due to have a CT with contrast, that will tell you whether there is a fistula and if so, where is it.
If there is a fistula, it will need surgical correction unless it is very small, when prolonged catheterization might heal it.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 23 minutes later
My hysterectomy was open due to an enlarged uterus with uterine fibroids. I had a myomectony and blood transfusion on 09/07 and another blood transfusion November of last year. My uterus was filled with fibroids and I used to have really heavy menstrual periods.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let us wait for the report.

Detailed Answer:
Well, keep me posted on the report of the scan tomorrow.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN