What causes watery eyes and feeling of water in ears while coughing?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 in General Health
Question: I have what feels like water in my ears. I seem to be hearing o.k. But when I swallow or cough etc. I get this sensation of water ( or liquid) ) in my ears, mostly left ear.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
instill decongestant nose drops like otrivin

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to healthcaremagic,
Sensation of water in the ears usually happens after a cold.

Do not worry , it usually resolves in a few days to weeks.

You can instill decongestant nose drops like otrivin. These drops help to keep the Eustachian tubes patent. Eustachian tubes connect the nose to the ears and help to ventilate the ears. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day and follow it up with steam inhalation for 5 days.

If you do not feel better in a few days then see a specialist because ear infection needs to be ruled out in which case you may need a course of antibiotics.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi. (MS ENT)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E