question-icon

What causes watery diarrhea,foul smelling burps, bloating and nausea?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: For the last four days, I've had several bouts of watery diarrhea (5/6 times a day, at least), along with very foul smelling burps, bloating, and nausea.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
gastroenteritis probably

Detailed Answer:

this is probably due to gastroenteritis. Whether it's viral or bacterial cannot be ascertained without culture results. If you don't have any fever then the treatment is the same, that is sufficient fluid intake and perhaps drugs to relieve the symptoms.

If you do have fever then antibiotic treatment might be necessary...

Antidiarrheal agents like loperamide might help with the diarrhea but they shouldn't be used if fever or blood in the stool is present. Relieving nausea can be done with drugs like metoclopramide, which may also help the patient receive more fluids. Maintaining a favorable fluid balance is essential. If the fluid balance is markedly negative then admission to the hospital might become necessary.

Most such cases last for a few days and are self limited. A stool culture and microscopic examination for ova and parasites are important tests to determine further action.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis