What causes vomiting while treating acute gastroenteritis?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i am looking to find out what is wrong with me. I haven't been able to keep anything in my stomach for a week. And every time i eat i throw it up. I have been to the Dr and she said to not any meats or vegetables and to only eat starches, fruits, and broth. But i have tried and still end up throwing it up. And 2 weeks ago i had weighed 185 lbs and as of today im at 168 because of not being able to really eat. I'm really worried as to what is wrong. and recently had a cold so i have been taking nightquil.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute gastroenteritis causing severe inflammation in intestines.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Most likely its gastroenteritis,usually gastroenteritis is caused by viral infection(Nova virus) and is self limiting,Takes five to seven days.But as you mentioned its already more then a weak so most likely you are having either bacterial or protozoal infection or a mixed infection.
As there is severe inflammation in intestines food intake causes nausea and vomiting.
Start taking Zithromax(Azithromycin 500 mg once daily) and secnidazole 1 gram daily for 5 days.Both need a prescription.
Take Zofran 4 mg thrice daily for nausea.Its over the counter.

Weight loss is due to severe fluid loss from body.Try to drink as much oral rehydration solution as possible with lots of coconut water and orange juices.

General precautions-
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Avoid meat.
Try boiled food(Vegetables) with spices and herbs for a week.

I would suggest you to go for few tests
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count.

Follow up with reports.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T