What causes vertigo on bending down when suffering from high blood pressure?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi ,

I am a 38 year old female, been diagnosed with BP (genetic ) for the past 7 years and on tablet (Nebicard 2.5) for the past 2 years. I also suffer from Hypothyroidism and on Thyrox 100mg tablet for the past 8 years. Every now and then my BP does go up occasionally (either due to too much of stress at work or similar factors at home). I have been pretty careful with my diet in the past 20 years and occasionally indulge on unhealthy food. I have been incorporating either 2-3 kms of walk per day or an hour of exercise that makes me sweat. Mostly regular , there are days I miss as well. I am obese and weigh 90kgs for 158cms height. (All weight is in my thighs and back alone). I am a mother of 10 year old girl child.

Having given a basic detail of my profile, would be very helpful, if you could give me a solution for the below issues that I am currently facing:

(a) For the past 3 days I have a vertigo like symptom. Whenever I lie down and bend down or turn my head I feel dizzy because of which my exercise routine is hampered as well. One of these days I missed my Nebicard 2.5 tablet and had the BP on the next day with a reading of 95/141. Took the tablet the next day and tried avoiding salt in my food and I see that my BP is now maintaining at 120/80. (Very occassionally I miss taking the tablet)

(b) For the past 1 month I have been having a heel pain early in the morning and when I consulted an orthopaedic was instructed as Plantar fasciitis. Took a course of 10 days of physiotherapy and avoided standing and sitting. Started wearing MCP slippers at home. Dr.Schauls at work. Pls note that in the past 6 months my driving has significantly increased (2 hrs per day in peak traffic)

I have a feeling that my BP , Vertigo and this leg pain may be connected.

What would be your advice for my vertigo problem?
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably bening paroxysmal positional vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your query; it suggests that most probably you may be suffering from the benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.
In this condition in our patients I suggests -----
1.Vestibulosuppressant medication.
2. Vestibular rehabilitation therapy such as Cowthorne exercise.
3 . Restrict head movement as much as possible.

For better diagnosis , management and exclusion of other disease you may go for vestibular assessment.

Thanks

Follow-up: What causes vertigo on bending down when suffering from high blood pressure? 10 hours later
Thank you Doctor. So this is not something that was caused due to my BP and entirely a different issue and you suggest that I go through a vestibular assessment?

Btw, I seem to have improved on the vertigo in the past three days.

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Just wait and watch

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your follow up query; it suggests that you may be suffering from the BPPV. In some patient it resolve own therefore just wait and watch, If not improving then go for above mention tests.

Thanks

Follow-up: What causes vertigo on bending down when suffering from high blood pressure? 27 minutes later
Thank you Doctor! That seems to be a very reasonable analysis. I went through the wikipedia page for BPPV and it lists the below as the causes. All of which are completely true in my case..

********

*Changes in barometric pressure - patients often feel symptoms approximately two days before rain or snow
*Lack of sleep (required amounts of sleep may vary widely)
*Stress

*********

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks Mam,
For appreciating my answer. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Wish you good health