What causes vertigo, nausea, vomiting and headache in a teenager?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 13 year old male has vertigo, nausea, vomiting, headache, general malaise. No know injury. Has been in the sun for several hours. No fever. Sore throat. Symptoms for 8 hours
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a minor heat stroke or a migraine attack

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what your patient had to go through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if he is suffering, it can be a minor attack of heatstroke causing dehydration or an attack of migraine. Since his symptoms are getting better, ensure good hydration and fluids intake. Keep him indoors, on complete bed rest for a day or two.

If vomiting doesn't settle using motility agents like domperidone may help. Taking soft diets and avoiding heavy lipids or protein diets. Using analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen may be continued for headaches. If symptoms doesn't resolve, then taking to a medical facility for a detailed blood work up and medical examination may be needed.

Vertigo at this age can be an accompanying symptom with the rest of the symptoms you have mentioned and the causes mentioned above. So monitor it that whether it settles down once the other symptoms resolve or not. Only then decision of other causes should be proceeded with.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D