What causes urgent bowel movements immediately after eating?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello. I'm having stomach issues.. Once I eat a few minutes later I start to fill sick..my stomach starts to hurt and I have to have a bowel movement which looks strange at time's.. I'm concerned that this has had something do with me taking too many pills When I had a tooth ache.. Thinking it has effected my stomach lining...This has been going on for about a week
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions so that I can help

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

I have a few questions for you to help me sort this out:

1. When did the digestive problems start?
2. Is the pain a gnawing type pain in the left upper abdomen, or more of a cramp pain throughout, or in lower abdomen?
3. What about your stools look abnormal?
4. What medications are you taking?
5. What medications did you take before (for the tooth ache)?
6. Any other symptoms you can describe? Any fevers?

Thanks - I'll write after I hear back from you.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 14 minutes later
I've only noticed it a week ago.
it's a normal stomach ache or sometimes the lower abdomen.
It's light brown which comes in the form of small balls with what seems to be wrapped with discharge.
no medications.
I was taking Excedrin, noproxan,BC powder.
I also have heart burns just about every day now.

No tomatoes!! 😟 OK thank you so much for answering my questions
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Ok, here are my thoughts on this:

The Excedrin, Naproxen, and BC powder all contain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDS) which can cause stomach lining irritation (gastritis, duodenitis, and GERD). This would explain the heart burn. For this I recommend taking Zantac (generic is ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day. You can find Zantac at any drug store. Depending on how much irritation there is, you may need to take it for 2-6 weeks. Ranitidine decreases the amount of acid the stomach produces by 70% which is usually enough to let the lining of the stomach, duodenum, and lower esophagus, to heal. There will still be enough acid to digest food.

If stool has no color to it or is a khaki color (like pale colored army pants), this can mean some obstruction of the bile coming from the gall bladder. There are a variety of causes for this. If you are having no upper right abdominal pain (under the right rib cage area), then you can just wait to see if treating your stomach problem helps take care of it. If the Zantac does not help with the stool color, then go in to see your doctor and you may need an ultrasound of your gall bladder.

Until the heart burn resolves, avoid any NSAIDs, and acidic foods such as citrus or a lot of tomato (including sauce). Also, no alcohol, and limit caffeine. And no peppermint. I know that last one sounds unusual, but mint can increase reflux into the esophagus.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Brief Answer:
Your Welcome

Detailed Answer:
I hope you are feeling better soon!

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD