What causes upper body and joint pain after taking hepatitis vaccine?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I took only the 1st & 2nd shot of the hepatitis B vaccine 7 years ago without the 3rd. And my girlfriend of 15 months was ask to do a hepatitis B test by her doctor because she is pregnant and was she have hepatitis B virus acute . So I rush back to take the 3rd shot and later stated having some unusual feeling, pain on the right side of my upper body, joint pain, and pains around both sides of my lower body. So i get scare and need an answer. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no risk!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you have reported and the symptoms. I do hope they get over soon.

1. These are recognized minor side effects after administration of the hepatitis vaccine. Minor muscle and joint aches, though not common, are possible and represent no major threat to good health or major reasons to get worried. Pain relievers like ibuprofen would be able to control this and need no further course of action.

2. This side effect has no relationship with your actual hepatitis serologic state. Whether you are hepatitis B positive or negative is not a contraindication to the administration of hepatitis B vaccine.

3. I will suggest that you take the courage and do a test for hepatitis B. If you are positive, it would be best to get evaluated and treated accordingly. If it is not, I will suggest that you get your antibodies titers evaluated and followed through accordingly.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications. Thank you so much for trusting us with your health questions.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Thanks, but am I safe for taking only 1&2 hepatitis B shot? We been having sex long before she knew she have it, so the moment she told me about it I went for the third shot and get the text the following day and have not receive my test result still. Maybe I get the result on Monday that's what they told me when I call the lab. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:

The recommended complete schedule are 3 injections. This is the best known schedule to offer long term protection. 2 doses certainly offer some protection but would not be durable and robust as a complete and well administered series of 3 doses.

I hope you results turn out good. Keep me updated. We would work together on paving the way forward no matter the outcome of your test.