What causes unpleasant body odour despite taking a shower everyday?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had this unusual order & it seems to be getting a little stronger. it does not seem to be a vaginal order, it seems to be all over. I either bath or shower every day. I have no clue what is wrong.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several possible causes explained and advises given

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand the distress with having to deal with odors in the body.

Causes of feeling certain odors are from.physical to psychological.

Physical odors might come with breath, skin, urine, feces. It would be very helpful to know if you specifically notice it more with any of these. The type of odor you feel also helps understanding the cause of it.

A common physical cause is diabetes. It gives an odor or rotten apples with the breath of a person and is very important to check fasting sugar if you have not checked it in the last year, just to rule it out and be sure is not related to it.

Another physical cause would be if you have acid reflux. eating frequent small amounts and having the last meal earlier than 3 hours before bedtime is advisable. Omeprazole 20 mg a day can also be tried to reduce acidity in the stomach.

Sinus and nasal congestion is also a common cause and making sure you use nasal saline lavage a few times a day to clean the nose is advisable in this case.

Urine and vagin can be a cause sourse of odor, even though you think it is not related to it, is good to have a vaginal examination and a urinalysis if you have normal sugar levels and no acidxreflux or nose congestion.

Certain medications can cause a typical smell, if you are taking drugs it would be good to check if those might be a cause of the odor.

Hygiene is an important cause of odors but as long as you bathe at least every 2-3 days, than this is unlikely to be related to hygiene.

Stress might cause the sweat glands to produce more sweat and in this case making sure you continue the regular frequent hygiene precautions and wearing comfortable cotton clothes and having a proper deodorant can help.

A more rare cause of smell is psychological, which means you sense odor but others don't. You can verify it by asking people if they feel the odor and if they constantly don't feel it while you do feel it than it is psychological and you will need to talk with your doctor on it.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact us in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 4 hours later
thank-you!
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pleasure

Detailed Answer:

It's a pleasure to be able to help you.
Feel free to contact us for any questions you might have.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana