What causes unbearable peri hip and leg pain?

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
Unbearable peri, hip, leg. foot pain. Burning. "Woke up" after 2008 5 & 6th thoracic back surgery in late 2013. New brain damage also. Memory area mostly. Paraplegic, but can stand up. Original slipped disc. Now w/displaced hardware. Complicated with old hidden herpes case that in later years I had taken the innocultion against, (an error). Now inflammed left leg, peri and buttocks. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Accident and Emergency

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible neuropathy due to Vit B12 deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will answering your query.
Looking at the clinical history and present symptoms, i can comment as follows:
1. Possible peripheral neuropathy - due to Vit B12 deficiency. Vit B12 supplements in injectables or oral format necessary. Need to look into multiple micronutrient deficiency also. A mixed nutritional supplement should help improve. Diet with eggs, red meat, fish and pulses are helpful.
If possible check for serum Vit B12 levels. Taking excess of Vit B12 does not cause any complication.
2. Vascular related. Ischemia related pain can also present similarly, especially with numbness. If the pain reduces, when you stand up, it is not vascular related.
Look for limb color, if there is any change like blue or black. If you have any additional symptoms, I can try to help you more.

Viral infections do not usually present like this.
As you are already using pain medication, I would not want to add anything new. Improve nutrition specifically Vit B12. You might be having associated anemia also.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM

Follow-up: What causes unbearable peri hip and leg pain? 57 minutes later
I will buy some vitamin b-12 and increase eggs and red meat.. Left leg is pink except for very red inflammed, sore areas. My toe nails are in pink see through shape. Right foot beginning to hurt also; can't stand much or prance much with this one.
They are saying use ibuprofen - doesn't touch it. I suppose it is the displaced hardware and 6th thoracic operation. Back doesn't hurt as bad.
Panama a good country to retire to for ill Americans? I would keep my investments here.

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks herpes shingles, further history necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for replying.

Please continue with treatment to improve nutrition.

The impression appears to be shingles and needs to be treated at the earliest to reduce postherpetic neuralgia. Treatment with acyclovir is necessary for atleast 15-21 days.

However, I would like to know,
1. since how many days, the pain and sore is present?
2. How many lesions? are they near by or far?
3. Can you possibly attach a picture?

If the herpes is not still under control, mild dose of corticosteroids can be taken.
To reduce pain Ibuprofen like analgesics or oxycodone needs to be taken.

Dr. Prakash HM

Follow-up: What causes unbearable peri hip and leg pain? 3 days later
I will try and get picture of red left heel. (it's protected from bed). Paraplegic since last titled "failed" 6th thoracic spine operation. Left buttock, cannot sit on, so painful. Whole leg screamingl painful either standing and stepping or laying. Less pain sometimes when I wake up - starts when I move. Brocken hardware and cyst in spine also. Legs pink and toenails thin. Started in 1977 slipped disc. Early operations were basically sucessful (1983-2). 2007 and 2008 appear to not be. Callewd "failed". No one wants to operate again. Probably right?
Then complicated by old hidden herpes case causing peri area pain? I had to beg for some Acyclovir - because of this theory, but not given enough. Only small pimple - but had taken the anti herpes shot when I had had herpes for 20yrs. (my stupidity)
Status grand mal Seizure.s from ignored herpes? increased buzzing in head starting. No one wants this complicated case. Where is a good place to retire to?
Brain damaged - crumpled area in memory area (scans). It took me until 2013 to mentally "come around" from last 2008 operation.
Any specialty splaces to go to? Stanford didn't want me. Thank You.

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will wait for images.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
Will wait for images.
However, good to know that you have "come around".
Unless you have specific complaint, I do not expect you to go to other places.
I would want you be under a care of a single internal medicine person or Geriatrician as they can take care, more. In your present position, numerous unwanted medication will be prescribed if you go to a bigger setup.
Hope it helps.

Dr. Prakash HM