What causes transient loss of vision?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question

In between time to time I have this case of one eye or both of them getting blanked with no vision for several seconds or a minute and then it slowly goes back to normal, I wear eye lences and glasses my vision is not that good, so i said maybe its causing that, can you advise me please of the reason and why that is happening..

Thank You
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Transient loss of vision, it requires evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having recurrent episodes of sudden blackouts of vision lasting for few seconds.
This is called as transient loss of vision and requires evaluation to find out the underlying cause. This occurs because of transient ischemia of the blood circulation to the eye.
The common causes are as a part of prodromal symptom of migraine, vascular diseases affecting the catotid arteries or retinal arteries, hypotension, episodes of hypoglycemia....
Refractive errors are not known to cause these symptoms. Hence I advice you to consult your doctor for examination and treatment of the underlying cause.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you

With regards