What causes tiredness, anxiety and depression post-partum?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: After giving birth, its been 18 months now, I feel very tired and depressed, with irrational thinking and fear that me or my son will have cancer, every time i feel sick i kinda believe its cancer, I'm so scared of the desease i cant sleep well.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These thoughts are due to anxiety only.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. Childbirth is considered as one of important event of life. Due to changes in hormones during pregnancy and then immediately after birth a lot of females develop changed emotional state. Sometimes mood lability, crying spells, depressed mood etc symptoms are seen. You have delivered the child about 18 months ago and have symptoms like fear that you or your son might develop cancer or fear of disease. These symptoms are occurring due to anxiety and should be evaluated properly.

First of all keep one thing in mind that these thoughts are irrational and try to reassure yourself again and again. Keep in mind that how can you or your son develop some serious illness. How is it possible?

These thoughts are due to anxiety only. Emotional bonding with child is also one reason for such irrational fears. If these thoughts are causing the impairment in day to day functioning then visit a psychiatrist for help.

Medicines like SSRIs as Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertraline etc can help to reduce such anxiety symptoms and will help in better functioning. These medicines will also reduce the unwanted thoughts also. Apart from medicines relaxation exercises and repeated reassurances also help to reduce the symptoms.

So please don't remain distressed. These irrational thoughts will reduce with proper treatment. Visit a psychiatrist for help.

Thanks, Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 minutes later
I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed cipralex escitalopram which i took for 4 minths, felt much better, however after a general checkup test my lever enzymes were very high, and it was the only medicine i was taking, so i was concerned it might be the cause for lever damage, during my medication my sex drive was very low and i would wake up multiple times during sleep? Do you advice that i continue with same medicine??
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Escitalopram can be continued or other SSRI can be used.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for asking a follow up

Yes Cipralax or Excitalopram is also a SSRI drug and is right drug for your condition. But as it caused sexual side effects and raised liver enzymes so in such case other options can be considered.

Sertraline is also a SSRI and is relatively safer drug. The drug will not cause much change in liver enzymes. The drug though is known to reduce the sex drive but that would not be noticed in normal doses. So you can consider the drug for your symptoms.

Thanks, Still have more doubts please ask again.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 5 minutes later
Yes one more question, for how long should i take this drug and does it have side effects on the long run?! Is it safe?!
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The drug is safe and will help to control the symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

The drug is safe drug, not associated with any long term serious side effects. Though slight sexual dysfunction might occur but that is totally reversible on stopping the drug. In my opinion the drug will help you with in 4 weeks but the drug should be continued for at least 3-6 months and then doses can be tapered gradually.

Thanks, Still have doubts please ask again.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 29 minutes later
Well the symptoms come back after i stop the medication?!
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No the risk of relapse is low

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

No they will not come back after stopping the medicines. Just don't stop the medicines abruptly because this might precipitate the withdrawal. Reduce the doses gradually and you will be symptoms free. Maintain the anxiety free states by relaxation exercises and yoga. This will help to prevent relapse of symptoms.

Thanks.