What causes tiredness, anxiety and depression post-partum?
These thoughts are due to anxiety only.
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries
I can understand your concern. Childbirth is considered as one of important event of life. Due to changes in hormones during pregnancy and then immediately after birth a lot of females develop changed emotional state. Sometimes mood lability, crying spells, depressed mood etc symptoms are seen. You have delivered the child about 18 months ago and have symptoms like fear that you or your son might develop cancer or fear of disease. These symptoms are occurring due to anxiety and should be evaluated properly.
First of all keep one thing in mind that these thoughts are irrational and try to reassure yourself again and again. Keep in mind that how can you or your son develop some serious illness. How is it possible?
These thoughts are due to anxiety only. Emotional bonding with child is also one reason for such irrational fears. If these thoughts are causing the impairment in day to day functioning then visit a psychiatrist for help.
Medicines like SSRIs as Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertraline etc can help to reduce such anxiety symptoms and will help in better functioning. These medicines will also reduce the unwanted thoughts also. Apart from medicines relaxation exercises and repeated reassurances also help to reduce the symptoms.
So please don't remain distressed. These irrational thoughts will reduce with proper treatment. Visit a psychiatrist for help.
Thanks, Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.
Escitalopram can be continued or other SSRI can be used.
Hello again and thanks for asking a follow up
Yes Cipralax or Excitalopram is also a SSRI drug and is right drug for your condition. But as it caused sexual side effects and raised liver enzymes so in such case other options can be considered.
Sertraline is also a SSRI and is relatively safer drug. The drug will not cause much change in liver enzymes. The drug though is known to reduce the sex drive but that would not be noticed in normal doses. So you can consider the drug for your symptoms.
Thanks, Still have more doubts please ask again.
The drug is safe and will help to control the symptoms.
The drug is safe drug, not associated with any long term serious side effects. Though slight sexual dysfunction might occur but that is totally reversible on stopping the drug. In my opinion the drug will help you with in 4 weeks but the drug should be continued for at least 3-6 months and then doses can be tapered gradually.
Thanks, Still have doubts please ask again.
No the risk of relapse is low
No they will not come back after stopping the medicines. Just don't stop the medicines abruptly because this might precipitate the withdrawal. Reduce the doses gradually and you will be symptoms free. Maintain the anxiety free states by relaxation exercises and yoga. This will help to prevent relapse of symptoms.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does chemo cause anxiety or depression
- What causes anxiety when on medication for ptsd depression
- Tiredness depression anxiety taking remeron correct dosage
- Hemo rage causes anxiety depression
- Anxiety/ depression causes
- Will anxiety depression cause gray stools
- What causes fatigue and tiredness leading to depression and anxiety
- What causes lack of concentration with anxiety and depression
- What causes tiredness and depression when on synthroid
- What causes depression and anxiety
- Sight problem. Taking pregabalin for fibromyalgia. Should I stop...
- Found mucus and pus cell in stool test. Suggested to go for colonoscopy...
- Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Taking paroxetine and sustimax....
- On medication for clinical depression. What diet should I take to reduce...
- Alcoholic, suffering from OCD, depression, suffered seizure. Prescribed...
- Trying to quit tobacco. What should I do for this?
- Taking clozazepam. Safe and easy method to stop taking this medicine?
- Taking fluoxidine, lectopam. Feeling weak, anxiety, nervous and chest...
- Aderall induced psychosis. How long will the effects last?
- Started getting panic attack after taking mucinex dm. Cause for concern?