How to avoid withdrawal symptoms of Lorazepam?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Hi. I have been taking lorazepam for the past 16 days. 0.5mg in the morning and evening. I also started cipralex 3 weeks ago, 10 mg. All of these are for anxiety and panic attacks. My doctor wants to get out lorazepam and today was my 1st day out of 7 when i took it only in the evening. Then once every 2 days and so on. My anxiety and panic was a bit bigger today, i guess from not taking my morning dose.

My doctor says i will not have any withdrawal symptoms as it was a very small dose and just for a short time. But i am so scared.
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry, you'll be getting better eventually

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

What you describe is the normal procedure and treatment of anxiety started with lorazepam and Cipralex. Lorazepam, just as your doctor described, is slowly removed after the second week. This is done precisely so as to avoid any withdrawal symptoms which may start showing after a more prolonged use and with a higher dose, let's say, 1 mg twice a day for more than 21 days.

As you describe your case, I see no problem or concern in the way your doctor has handled it. Cipralex will start to kick in with his effect and you will need to encourage yourself that things will go fine, cause they definitely will.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Eni 9 hours later
Hi. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. My also spoke with my doctor and he advised me to take a natural anxiety pill called “stresclin complex "in the morning. Not sure what the international name is.

I hope it will help, as i my anxiety has already increased since i reduced and i am so afraid it will go back to how it was. I wonder if this is part of the reduction process and for how long?
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It will help!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
As you may well know, anxiety is a vicious cycle. The more you think about the stressor and the source of anxiety, more questions keep popping up and more anxious you get.
I want to assure you that the treatment you are taking is the right one. Stresclin complex is a very good natural anxiolytic, meaning that it breaks down anxiety. It will be a very good replacement for lorazepam, and during the reduction process which will take place for 3-4 weeks (your doctor has been very careful to do a slow removal of lorazepam, which helps with withdrawal symptoms), you will get used to Stresclin and you will rely partially to it to help with anxiety.
But as I said in the previous answer, the main cure for anxiety is you. You need to get involved with life. I don't know much of your history, but I know the general history of people. We like to overthink and to worry. Please hang out and have fun, sometimes be reckless and don't worry too much about consequences. Believe in God and read some books. Play sports in group or run alone with earphones. Stay fit and healthy.
I hope I have helped you, dear XXXXXXX
Best wishes!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Hello again.

I know what you mean and i also know i need to work hard on myself. But it got me down to see that even after 3 weeks when i reduced lorazepam most of my anxiety came back. Along with nausea, tension and my shoulders hurt. :(

I am not good at this, and have very little will power. Constantly afraid that something would happen from the smallest twitch in my body.
Answered by Dr. Eni 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What about Cipralex

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Have you been taking Cipralex as prescribed? Maybe you need to ask your doctor if he needs to increase Cipralex dose. As he may have already explained, cipralex's full effect starts to show after 2-3 weeks of use. This is why you need to take lorazepam during this period.
Then, as Cipralex starts to work, it can have a very good effect when combined with a herbal anxolytic.
I understand that lorazepam's effect was immediate and very strong, but you will get used to this combination and you will get better as time goes on.
If it is hard for you to find the will for physical activity, I would recommend you to start with a journal. Write down your feelings, your anxiety and your worries. I find that in most of people, expressing their worries in different ways, especially by writing them, helps a lot to alleviate the anxiety.
Then try to find a hobby. Something to keep youraelf busy with. Reading, art, handwork, whatever. It will help.
And be sure that the best specialists are taking care for you.
Manoku Eni M.D.
Follow up: Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Hello again.

After talking with my doc and telling her how i feel, she suggested i do the reduction differently. First get the morning pill out, like on day yes, one day no 4 times, then once every 2 days and so on. And after that reduce the evening pill the same way. I took the morning dose today and i will start the new schedule from Monday, hopefully with better luck.
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hopefully with better outcome

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
I am glad you spoke with your doctor about this issue and that your doctor established a new reduction scheme according to your needs. This speaks of a very good relationship between you and your doctor, and this is a wonderful thing.
Wish you the best, XXXXXXX
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Eni 20 hours later
Hello again, and thank you for all your time.

I am to see my doctor tomorrow to talk about how i feel. I need to tell here that i don't feel ready to get of lorazepam and ask her if i can perhaps take it a bit longer until Cipralex has more effect on me. I am a very week person and get scared of almost any twitch in my body, and this lorazepam helps me be a little more calm. But on the other hand i also read a lot of stuff on the internet about it, and that it has bad withdraw symptoms even after a few weeks. So i am so confused right now :(
Answered by Dr. Eni 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to make the right decision, to get of lorazepam

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
I understand your concern. It is true that we live in a scary world, full of pain, hurt and disease.
One way to get through it is to get strong, the other way is to get numb and feel nothing.
As you have read, lorazepam withdrawal becomes very hard, with very badsymptoms.
On the other hand, if you get of lorazepam, you will have a short period of anxiety until you get used to it. Plus, you can speak with your doctor and find a good scheme of getting of lorazepam.
If you weigh the two options, it is clear that in the long run the the second one is the best. And this is the one we all recommend.
But still it's your d
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Eni 35 minutes later
I wasn't planning on taking lorazepam on the long run. Tomorrow would be 3 weeks. The period my doctor initially recommended. Was just wondering if 1 or 2 weeks more would be that bad?

It's not about going numb, just a little more time of felling better to build the courage and get it off.
Answered by Dr. Eni 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
1 or 2 weeks more is BAD

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
I would not recommend 1 more week of full treatment with lorazepam. You NEED to start getting of of it. Any more longer, will just be more difficult to get of, and the withdrawal symptom will be even worse. NOW is the time to start the scheme of liwering the dose until you fully get of of it.
You need to speak with your doctor about the best scheme to do this, but you have to start it.
I hope you will find the courage and be brave about this.
Manoku Eni M.D.