What causes tingling on the face and blurry vision in a diabetic indicate?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am a type 2 diabetic taking insulin and metformin. I am also taking Cipralex for anxiety. I occasionally have facial tingling and blurry vision (tingling is on both sides on my face, mostly on cheeks and nose). When tingling presents itself, it is also accompanied with upper back tension and tingling down into my arms. Blurry vision is minimal during these time but still obvious to me. I cannot seem to point what is happening. When I asked my family doctor, she told me it was from my anxiety. I disagree with this as it happens when I'm not anxious - I do know the difference. It is not hypoglycemia, as I also know my body and what I experience when this happens. What else could it be?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin B12 deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
The tingling and blurred vision which you are experiencing are due to nerve irritation .
The most common cause of this especially in diabetic patient is vitamin B12 deficiency.
I would recommend you to get a serum B12 level done and please revert back with the reports.
As, it has to be replaced in an injectable form to reach the blood stream .
Meanwhile if you are a non vegetarian please start having a lot of meat as it is rich in B12.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D