What causes tickling sensation at the back of the throat?

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Good morning! I am 67 yr old white female with seasonal allergies manifesting with a tickle in the back of the throat that results in a coughing spasm that has been effectively managed first with benedryl until it started making me drowsy, then with alavert D -12. It's been 5+ years since the last episode. I discovered that alavert d 12 is not available otc now - is there a comparable otc? Clartatin does not seem to be as effective.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Seasonal allergies can be bothersome and with spring season at hand, these are almost inevitable. Its good to know that alavert D 12 was working good for you and its recent availability over the counter is causing discomfort. Its a brand for pseudoephederine and loratidine combination. There are many other over the counter combinations with same composition with different brand names you can try and should work the same as all have same ingredient and same composition. Some of the options are Sinus D, Claritin D, ChlorTripolon, Alavert D-12, Claritin D-24 Hour.

Apart form it, home remedies like use of humidifier, avoiding allergens, triggers, opting for allergen immunotherapy, sublingual and subcutaneous therapies by discussing these with your allergist and immunologist can help. Also you can use supportive home remedies like warm comforting beverages, steam inhalation, salt water gargles etc for relief. Using a mask while moving out and avoiding outside exposure during dusk or XXXXXXX times as those times are rich with pollen .

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan