What causes throbbing pain on the right side of the head behind the ear?

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been having a throbbing pain on the right side of my head right behind my ear. I notice it more while I'm at rest (in bed) and it's a shooting pain that lasts about 5 seconds, goes away then comes back in about a minute or so. I had two fillings done in the past 7 days, my wisdom tooth and another tooth in that area on the lower right side that had a slight crack in it , and I'm thinking that could be the cause?? If not should I consider going to my doctor?

I am a healthy and active person. Not on any medications and had a full physical checkup in October 2016 and came back with a clean XXXXXXX of health.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Head pain

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your post on HCM

I do understand your pain and discomfort

As per your history is concerned please provide me few things that I can be able to derive a conclusion:-

1)When you have head pain do you have sensitivity to light, sounds & smells?

2)Do you feel blurred vision?

3)Do you have nausea & vomiting history?

Please follow me with answers,

Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 18 hours later
No to all of the questions above.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Head ache

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up question

As per your history of shooting head ache is concerned it is not related to neurological origin so nothing to be worried at all. It is due to your tooth only so please consult with your dentist for any permanent root canal option.

Hope that helps