What causes thickened endometrium?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 4 Nov 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I was suffering from bleeding doc suggested ultrasound in that they find endometrium thickness of14.8mm what was the problem..pls suggest me
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us about it.

There are so many reasons for irregular bleeding and endometrial thickness in your age.

Thickened endometrium occurs when there is increased estrogen in your body, there is anovulation (no ovulation) and decreased progesterone level.

The most common causes are fibroid, polyp, PCOD, hormonal imbalance, adenomyosis, DUB (Dysfunctional uterine bleeding), thyroid disorder, use of contraceptive pills and pregnancy.
In your case it may be due to hormonal imbalance or DUB.

In my opinion you should get for your hormonal profile, blood count, thyroid profile and endometrial biopsy (if your doctor suggests, to see the pattern of endometrium) to rule out the cause.

Your doctor prescribed a right medication to you as it is due to the unopposed action of estrogen, oral contraceptive pills are effective in controlling bleeding, but you should continue this medication for at least 3-6 cycles to control bleeding (after your doctor consultation).

Bleeding is due to the withdrawal bleeding caused by stopping medication.

You should also require iron and calcium along with it.

Hope I have answered your query If you have further questions I will be happy to assist you.

Good luck.
Dr.Richa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju