What causes temporary memory loss after taking magnesium and iron supplements?

Neurologist
Question
My son was given doses of magniseum and iron yesterday. Now he is acting very strangely and forgetting things. What has happened to him? He has cancer

My son was suppose to get chemo yesterday, but instead he received iron and magnieseum. Now he is acting very strangely . Also not remembering things. Can you tell me what has happened to him?
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Several possibilities

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I do not think iron or magnesium have anything to do with the change in his mental status, they are naturally occurring supplements, do not cause such symptoms, at most some gastrointestinal irritation signs.

Given the fact that he has been diagnosed with cancer the first hypothesis to be considered is the possibility of brain metastasis, of cancer having spread to the brain. Cancer also increases the risk for stroke which could also be a cause. For that reason I think you should contact his doctor and brain imaging be done.

Other possible reasons would include metabolic abnormalities which can also alter mental status and are common in cancer patients. They can be excluded by some routine blood tests such as blood count, glucose, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.