What causes tailbone pain post strenuous physical activity?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I recently performed an exercise at "crossfit" called Hollow Rock, where you lay on your back and rock back and forth without letting your feet touch the ground. It's an exercise for your core. While I was doing it my tailbone started to hurt and after a few reps, I could literally feel the bone rubbing the ground. I couldn't finding the last set. Since then, I have had slight pain, but mostly discomfort. It feels like there's a small ball under my skin where the coccyx is when I sit, and generally feels "swollen". I have also felt warm sensations...which make me think it's nerve damage of some sort. My question is do you think it's just bruised or something more serious requiring X-rays? It has been 4 days since it happened, not worse but not better either. Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is soft tissue trauma and needs treatment right away.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

Probabilities:-
It is not at all any sort of nerve damage and is just a soft tissue injury. It is usually self limiting medical issue but as you have 4 days and still fee feeling of warmth and there is associated pain. It means you have got moderately severe soft tissue injury that rubbed against the bones of the spine (most probably the lower lumbar vertebrae, sacral and the coccyx).

Management:-
Take Excedrin Extra Strength to relieve pain and the inflammation caused by soft tissue injury.
Apply soft and cold compresses on the area to relieve the inflammation.
Apply BenGay Ultra Stretch Gel on the area and give it a gentle massage. Also apply heat pad for sometime.
Take SITZ BATH...It is actually a bathtub where you sit in as the water filled dips up to your hips. The water should be Lukewarm with some salt added in it. Use it 3-4 times a day. It will quench your pain.
Sit in a comfortable chair so that you may not hurt you more.
While sitting, don't cross your legs. Keep the legs at 90 degrees to the thighs and upper body too at 90 degrees to the thighs.
When doing such exercises, always use double yoga mat to lie on the floor. Hard surface beneath your body causes damages.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating to help us assist our patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. So keep a follow up to see how you doing.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Ok, thank you so much! If it was broken, or subluxated someway, it would be causing a lot of pain, right? Or at least a significant amount...
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes the symptoms would definitely had been severe and debilitating

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you back!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and I can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I assure you not to worry as I will take care all of your medical concerns.

Yes, if it had been sublaxated or there had been some more serious issue, you must have had more debilitating and extreme pain.

Please start the remedies as aforementioned and you will get very better soon.

Hope I answered all of your health concerns . If you have further questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Always write my name in start of your question in future, and I will get back to you in no time. If satisfied, please give your generous 'five Star rating' and don't forget to 'Close the discussion'.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D