• question-icon

What does this MRI report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Baby observed with the tumor on lower back which growing day by day. Doctor asked for the MRI for that "MRI of LUMBOSARCAL Spine".
Details from the MRI are as follows ; The conus medularis is reaching till the level of L3 vertebral body and filum terminale is seen to insert into the subcutaneous fatty mass which is communicating with the spinal canal through infused spinous process of S1 and S2 level. the myeloid component is also seen to protrude through the spinous process defect.
the filum termnale show linear lipoma measuring 32 mm in length and 2.8 mm. Lumbar vertebrae appears normal. lumbar intervertebral disc appear normal
Impression : Finding are suggestive of closed spinal dysraphism (Lipomyelocele)."

It would be great if you can explain the severity and remedy/treatment in XXXXXXX man language. As most of report details used medical terminology.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained in lay-man's terms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I have gone through the details of the MRI report. In normal scenario the spinal cord along with its cover (the meninges) is encased by the vertebral column and the entire assembly remained covered by the skin and underlying tissues. But in the case of your child there is a defect in the vertebral column and through this defect the meninges have bulged out. Within this protuberance the spinal cord and surrounding fatty tissues have protruded out. Unless urgent repair with reinforcement is done, the lower limbs can become paralyzed. Surgical repair with proper reconstruction and reinforcement is therefore essential.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Is it critical one? Also share some contact with whom I can discuss for next course of action.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The condition is indeed critical

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is a critical one. You need to get in touch with pediatric neurosurgeons. The available doctors in your area can be contacted through
https://www.practo.com/hyderabad/neurosurgeon/banjara-hills

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician