What causes swollen veins in the hand and numbness in the fingers?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The veins in my left hand are swollen, pain in hand, numbness in fingers, and it is difficult to type this... started about a week ago; first 1 vein, now 2 veins.

I am also a little nausous.

I had a mild stroke this past May which affected left side for a couple of weeks.
Is this related to another stoke (coming)?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some explanations given and advises

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question.

The swelling of the veins of the hand do not seem to be caused from a stroke. Generally for a vein to be dilated a blockage in its passage should happen.
Do you have only veins getting swollen or the swelling is more spread with the tissues around swollen also? Do you have any redness locally other than the swelling?
Any lungs complaint like short of breath or cough or any blood with cough?

If local swelling or the veins with some redness at the area might be due to trombophlebitis and appropriate treatment for it is indicated. It is generally not serious but proper diagnosis and treatment is needed.

If it is just the veins being swollen and tender and this is only in one side than you will need to do a check with your doctor and maybe tests will be needed to check the heart (ultrasound), lungs (chest x-ray and sometimes chest CT scan).
These would be the first tests to be done and your doctor might ask for further examinations depending on the results of these tests.

If you have some more questions related to this please feel free to reply to this message and upload some pictures of the hand with the swollen veins and the other hand also to compare them so to better evaluate the swelling.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 53 minutes later
There is no other redness or swelling of skin, but it looks like 3 veins now.

I did have trouble speaking after I walked up a set of stairs this afternoon. I knew it was odd, but I didn't give it any credence at the time.

I don't know how to attach a photo(live alone,widow) no one to ask help.

What type of doctor(specialist) should I see?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your local doctor is the first to meet and will decide if further referral is needed or not

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

I'm sorry you can't upload pictures but on the other hand it is good you don't have any redness or swelling of the rest of the hand.
The fact that the veins continue to swell means you will need to see a doctor to be sure all is well and nothing important is happening.
Seeing your family doctor is generally the first step and than after examining you the local doctor will have a better idea if there is a need for a referral to another doctor or not and which doctor would be needed to go.

So please see your local doctor (family doctor) first and than follow his/her instructions on further need for referral or not.

I hope this is helpful to you but please feel free to contact me in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 13 hours later
I have a high deductable, and avoid medical services. I am still paying the hospital since the May episode.

I will just have to wait. If it gets worse, then I will go to an urgernt care, which is only $100.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some symptoms to watch for are mentioned below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

I'm sorry that you can't access medical care at the moment. The emergency care is a good idea in case any worsening.

If your face or arm get swollen or you have any shortness of breath, cough, chest pain or headache or any new symptoms developing especially in your chest or head you will need to have an urgent check as in this case it is a need to rule out blockage of the veins at the area they enter the heart and these would be the most common symptoms.

Please feel free to let us know if anymore questions or concerns related to this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj