What causes swollen soft palate and difficulty in swallowing?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: The back of my throat/soft pallet is chronically swelled. It feels as if my throat is clogged with mucus, but it is not. I feel as if I cannot swallow sometimes. I have seen an ENT, and there is no abnormality. The ENT offered no explanation other than post nasal drip or reflux. I take medication for both and have for years since I have allergies and reflux. Both seem under control, although I do have some sinus drainage. I have used nasal irrigation and it makes no difference. Is there anything that can be done about this?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I need a CAT Scan of nose for nasal septal defect

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX!

I can well understand your health issues. You have problem of chronic Pharyngitis and Sinusitis. I treat patients like you with Azithromycin 500mg 1daily for 10days + Tablet Fexet-D one at night for 7days + Tablet Prednisone 5mg twice daily for 10days. These are prescription drugs available at your ENT doctor's office. Alternatively your primary physician will also know about it.

The drugs prescribed is to control your symptoms. However to understand the cause, I need a CAT scan of nose to see any nasal septal defect. If you haven't had the scan earlier, please discuss with your local doctor.

Hope it helps. If you feel any doubts/questions, please feel free to write me directly.

Regards!
DR . HANIF XXXXXXX USA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Muhammad Hanif