What causes swollen eyelids post chalazion surgery?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I had a chalazion surgery on the first of this month(13days).my lid is still swelling.i saw the ophtalmo lastweek(after 6 days of the operation)he told me to apply warm compresses (he only examined the the lid from the outside by touching it).he told me that i can wear my contact lenses after 2-3 days.i put them after few days from the operation ,after that i have my inner eye hurting & red .i called my dr he said that i must wear glasses for the moment & put warm compresses & if it still the same i must see him.
Yesterday i took an app wt another dr ,he told me that s still a chalazion residue & gave me eye drop & antibiotique pills & ointmnent(my eye is less itching but still)
Pleaze my question is if there s really a residue chzlazion does it go with time & warm compresses?or do i need another surgery?
& why my eye is hurting from the inside like i have something i feel something in it that keep hurting me when i move my eye( feeling better today perhaps this is du to the antibiotique & warm compresses).& i wanna note that i still have like a bump on the place of the chalazion is it the chalazion growing?
& when can i make a laser operation to drop the lenses for ever.i must wait that the scar tissu get heeled.thanks a lotttttttt
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
conservative tt

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
A small lump may remain there and will take few weeks to resolve completely. This may be due to residual matter or at times thickening of the wall of cavity in long standing cases.
This treatment will resolve the swelling and LASIK can only be done when this treatment is over.
Avoid using contact lenses for the time being.
Any further query in this regard please do get back to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 20 minutes later
Thank you for your answer .i would like to ask the residue chalazion requires an operation or it may heel wt treatment and time.& why my eye is hurting me & it s red (not the lid) i mean inside the eye ?
Anyway i will continue my treatment antibiotic ...compress .thxxxx a lot
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
conservative treatment

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
I have never have to go back for redoing chalazion.They all resolve after a while.
Redness and irritation13 days after surgery is uncommon. If there was a chemical or mechanical injury that would heal by this time.
Continue with the treatment and you will be fine.