What causes swollen ankles after consuming wine?
I am pre diabetic and over weight
Possibilities. Wine unlikely the cause
Swollen ankles is unlikely to be from drinking just 2 glasses of wine. We need to rule out few possibilities. I would suggest to do
1) CBC ( to assess anemia /infection)
2) Serum creatinine, blood urea ( to assess kidney function)
3) Urine protein( to assess kidney function)
4) Liver function tests
5) Thyroid blood profile
6) Uric acid ( gout).
7) ECG and Echo ( to assess heart function)
Besides these, use of certain pills for blood pressure ( amlodipine is one among them) and pain killers can cause swelling in ankle. One other important cause of swelling in ankles at this age is venous insufficiency or varicose veins. A doctor need to examine your legs to assess further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Swollen calf and ankle causes
- Causes swollen ankles and feet
- What causes night sweats and swollen ankles
- Swollen ankles cause and treatment
- What are the causes of swollen legs ankles
- Causes of swollen right ankle
- Causes of swollen ankles symptoms
- Swollen ankle bone causes
- Swollen ankles and legs causes
- Having swollen ankles what could be the cause