What causes swelling on shoulder?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014 in Back Pain
Question: my left shoulder is swollen for past 4 months
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details about your problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully,I need to know more about the swelling,like-
1.Any pain and/or fever associated with swelling? What is the duration of the swelling?
2. Are you able to sleep at night?
3. The range of movement at left shoulder in comparison to right shoulder, is it compromised?

If you like you may send the picture of swelling in your reply.
Meanwhile, you may start Ice fomentation and may take Ibuprofen which are over the counter. If not you may need muscle relaxant (Thiocolchicoside) along with it which to be prescribed local doctor.
Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
1.No pain or swelling.
2. Yes. Having a sound sleep.
3. Equal movement of both hands.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the suggestion as given earlier

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It’s good to see you
After going through the whole discussion and x-ray report, you may follow the treatment as told earlier for 3-5 days.
Do you have localised swelling like a small pebble at shoulder? The MRI Scan of shoulder may help us to reach any diagnosis.
Take care and if you have further query please do not hesitate.
Wishing you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj