What causes swelling on back of the knees?

Posted on Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I recently had swelling on the back of my knee after increasing my running work out. It is located near the insertion point of the hamstring on the inside of my knee. Its not painful and I ran today without pain but the swelling remains. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Apply crepe bandage compression. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Swelling seems to be due to irritation of hamstring at its insertion. Apply crepe bandage compression to reduce the swelling. Before running warm up yourself properly and do some stretching exercises. Doing hamstring strenthening exercises will be helpful to prevent further episodes of swelling. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement