What causes pain and swelling in the knees?

Posted on Thu, 16 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor, having pain in knee muscles. There is no swelling or did not have a fall. But last couple of days, having pain.
Is it due to age factor. Any medicine or exercise. I do walking everyday.
My age is 42 years.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be mild inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in and around the knee can be due to mild joint capsule inflammation or due to degenerative changes in the joint related to age.
This mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace or knee cap.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thank you doctor.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon