question-icon

What causes swelling of lymph nodes on neck?

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014
Question: Where are the lymph nodes on your neck and what would cause them to swell
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam (52 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
See the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.
I am Dr Aslam here to help you.

To give a clue towards cause of your lymph node swelling,we need to get the detailed clinical picture,including site of swelling,what all symptoms for how long,any investigation reports,any treatments taken etc.
Anyway,I will try to give some idea in this regard.
There are many lymph nodes (around 300) in our neck.They are distributed all around-front,sides and back;but most are located in the front part of neck.Some nodes like that in the submental and submandibular area are located superficially in the subcutaneous space,while others are situated deep to muscles of neck.

The causes of lymph node swelling are many-most common being infections>malignancies>connective tissue disorders(like sarcoidosis) etc.

The actual cause is determined by the clinical features,radiological findings,and some times a biopsy or aspiration cytology.Treatment depends on the cause.

Infectious causes are usually of a few days duration,painful,and resolves with antibiotic treatment.Malignant swellings are of longer duration,painless and hard to touch,and usually associated with systemic features like weight loss,poor apatite etc.

Your doctor will guide in you in detailed evaluation.
Hope you will find this answer useful.Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Muhammed Aslam