What causes swelling in the penis after a circumcision?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Lump
Question: Hi I am 42 and recently had a circumcision (2 weeks ago). Straight after the op I was very swollen and bruised,this has since gone down however the skin at the base of the glands is still fairly swollen and I am unable to pull back to reveal the stitches (if they have not already dissolved). The first week I was fine but in the second week I have a bleed coming between the glands and skin (top of penis) I can't see if this is from the incision, if I clean the area it will stop bleeding but if I walk about or during a nightly erection it will bleed. I also did notice that the blood the other day seemed a bit darker will a few little clots as though it had been collecting. Is this something that can be managed at home as I have to go to my GP to be referred back to the urologist which could take a while?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please post photos - clear and focused

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Please post clear and focused photos as these sometimes help for on-the-spot diagnosis and help for proper guidance.
Attach the photos along with this query.
You can upload images/reports with the help of the 'Upload' feature available on the right side of your page. Alternatively you can send to YYYY@YYYY
Also give the list of medications if you are taking any and taken in the past.

Awaiting.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 18 minutes later
I have uploaded images as requested thanks
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the images.
These show edema of the skin without much redness.
I would advise you the following in such a situation since it has already been 2 weeks for surgery:
Consult your GP, discuss the issues that you have and be examined.
Take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen if it suits you in proper dosages.
Apply Liquid Povidone iodine locally to ward off infection.
Ask you Doctor to give some prescription based medications like Amitriptyline to be taken at night to avoid erections. This helps in reducing the edema and early recovery. Antibiotic if there is an evidence of an infection.

All these things should help you to have reduced edema and proper healing and in the meantime ask for a referral for the Urologist. Better be seen by the Urologist if needed.
I hope this answer helps you.
Get these things done and give feedback.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 7 minutes later
Thank you i will do as suggested
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Please give feedback.