What causes swelling in the legs with a history of atrial fibrillation?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: After a long Hot Day working at our company in Monterrey, Mexico - I took my socks off and there are indentations. It's not swollen, more like the opposite of swollen everything is going inwards rather than being puffy. However, my first night in Mexico after work, I had more drinks than I should have so I have not been able to get properly hydrated all day.

I am based out of Wisconsin so not really used to this weather.

Anyways, should I worry about those indentations? Or is this something normal?

In the past 2-3 months, I have seen my cardiologist as well as spent an evening in the hospital for Atrial Fibrillation. They did every test in the book, and I'm fine. My cardiologist also says I am fine as well but continue to worry.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
SUpportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

i read your question and i understand your concern. With history of atrial fibrillations, I would suggest these pitting edema of feet to be considered for some work up to be on the safer side. If cleared from cardiac, and kidney point of view then simple climate change, dependant edema and prolonged socks wearing and walking can cause it.

If the work up is done after this symptoms and its all clear then its good thing and just needs slight hydration, limbs elevation and slight rest and i am sure it will sort out.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 22 hours later
Sorry, but what do you mean by "work up"?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Work up means investigations and lab reports and tests done on you which are all clear. If those tests are clear then i meant there is nothing to worry about and all you need is supportive care.

Khan