What causes swelling in the groin area?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, my Dad is 74, he has a pocket of fluid right above his groin, I believe on the left side, he has been having this extreme pain that comes and goes at odd times that sound like labor pains. He feels like he has to pass a huge amount of gas but never does. When they strike him he can do nothing but lay down until it passes. It sounds like they last about an hour. It sounds like the horrific pains that I used to go through with my gallbladder but he had that removed.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It looks like inguinal hernia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for posting in health care magic.
The swelling that is appearing on the groin is probably inguinal hernia.
The pain is due to the bowel getting blocked in the hernial sac. I think it is reducible now as the doctor couldn't find it.
The best to test it is to ask the patient to cough in standing position.It appears as bulge in the groin.
It can be confirmed by an Ultrasound abdomen or CT Scan.
Please consult your Surgeon and get it confirmed.
Gallbladder is located in right upper part of the abdomen.It has nothing to do with the left groin swelling.
Hope I answered your query.
If you come back after your Surgeon's consultation, I will clarify further.
Nothing to worry.
Wish him good health.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 9 hours later
The poll of liquid came back after the appointment and the pain that comes & goes, goes away after about an hour. Without having a bowel movement. Why would the pool of liquid cone and go?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is the peritoneal fluid.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The fluid is coming from the peritoneal cavity.
Inguinal hernial sac is nothing but the extension of peritoneum (which is the inside of the belly).The fluid will come when he is in upright position and will disappear when he is lying down.

It is natural.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj