• question-icon

What causes swelling and tenderness in the left chest area?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hello

Recently I have had 2 incidents of swelling and tenderness on my left chest area within 1 week. The first case was to the right of my left nipple area and was painful and tender for 3-5 days. The second is below the chest below the left nipple almost at the stomach junction with the chest. In both cases it was red with a bump and pain and tenderness. I notice that it develops after my Sat am yoga class each week and both cases i sprinted very fast both days chasing my kids on their bicycles. It seemed to resolve fully after advil treatment. The second one just started today but i am wondering why this is happening so frequently. I have very low Vitamin D levels but otherwise am in good shape. Thanks
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably costochondritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thank for your query, very specific and informative for assisting in the probable diagnosis.
Such swellings which increase on straining and resolve with Advil treatment as per the locations you have mentioned are most probably due to costochondritis.
I would advise you the following in such a situation.
Avoid all the activities that put a strain at such locations.
Since Advil helps you, take it till complete cure.
Consult your Doctor for clinical evaluation, examination, discuss the probable diagnosis so that further treatment can be added if required and investigations done as per the requirement either to prove or rule-out any other possible diagnosis.
I am sure, you are being given Vitamin D supplements.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 7 hours later
Thank you Doctor for the quick reply. What could be causing this - i have been practicing yoga for 2 years without any such conditions consistently although it has happened previously - perhaps 3-4 big such swelling episodes over the past year. Does stress and anxiety lead to such issues? I noticed that when i am more stressed my muscles temd to twitch periodically on their own, various from all parts of the body. I hope i can continue to run as i dont seem to think that there is a correlation. Any further detail would be much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As explained.

Detailed Answer:
The exact cause of costochondritis is not known.
THe probable causes are:
Flu, Typhoid or any such debilitating disease and its virus or bacteria getting entry into such an area.
It is well known that stress and/or anxiety instigate or enhance such a problem.
Hence you have to have a good control over these.
You can certainly continue running and Yoga but avoid any such positions or activities that instigate or enhance the problem.
And fortunately Advil is working well in your case.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon