What causes swelling and pain on the upper eyelid?
Home management. Advise of doctor for antibiotic course if needful.
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXX,
Thanks for the query.
I have read your query. Ste is a painful & irritating condition that disturbs your concentration. I understand your concern
You have a stye like swelling inside your upper eyelid,towards the inner end. It is due to bacterial infection of an oil secreting gland in eyelid skin or eye lash.. which follows blockage of it's duct... may be due to crust.
- In normal course stye a in the eyelid is auto controlled within a weeks time.It grows in size for 3 days & disappears within 5-6 days . During this period, the pain can be managed by using hot fomentation/ over the counter anti inflammatory pills ( like Ibuprofen ) taken after meals. Local antibiotic drops /ointment do help in healing.
* You have already started with Mahaflox eye drops. .. I think you should add fomentation/ anti inflammatory pills to manage the pain & wait for the thing to subside.
- But when it does not subside within a week/ pain & swelling goes on increasing .. you need to visit your doctor / ophthalmologist for prescription of oral antibiotics along with local antibiotic drops/ ointments.& oral anti inflammatory drugs .
* Antibiotic like Moxikind does hasten control of infection... but, I would advise to consult a doctor before starting oral antibiotic for proper choice/ dose & duration of the medicine... for many a times insufficient, irregular & unwanted consumption of antibiotics result in bacterial resistance.
I hope, you found the answer to be informative / useful. Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain and swelling on feet
- What causes pain and swelling in legs
- What causes swelling and pain in the clitoris
- What causes upper back pain
- What causes swelling and pain on the perineum
- Pain in the genitals with swelling what is causing this
- What causes upper arm pain
- What causes painful swollen eyelid
- What are the causes for pain and swelling in toes
- What causes swelling and pain in the testicles