What causes sudden weight gain?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
same problem as above . I am gaining a half to a whole pound day despite dieting and exercise and a thyroid is is in good shape according to my doctor.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weight gain

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your weight issue.

I would like to know if the following test results are nomal:

CBC
CMP

And I would like to know the specific TSH and freeT4 values to be certain that your thyroid is adequately treated.

Secondly, there are 2 other rare causes of weight gain that are caused by hormonal disturbances.
Both are rare though.

The first is Cushings disease. An endocrinologist will need to examine you in person and see if this is a possibility. If there is suspicion for this, then there is a screening blood or saliva or urine test for this.

The second is called Acromegaly, in which there is excess growth hormone in the body.
The screening blood test for this is called IGF1.