What causes sudden spike in blood pressure?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My wife, age 77 has had a spike in her blood pressure. 163/88- 68. It is normaly a bit below 120/80. It caused a hemorage in her eye. What causes this spike?Got drops for eye which is ok now. She has no tension and feels very well.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Causes are many

Detailed Answer:

Sudden rise/spike in blood pressure can be seen due to numerous causes. Commonest amongst the causes are increased salt intake in recent times, stress and anxiety, medications, hormonal imbalance etc.

You may have to regularly get the blood pressure examined. If such rise repeats frequently then you may have to consult a endocrinologist to rule out a condition called pheocromocytoma. It is the condition wherein the hormones involved in maintaining salt balance will get deranged.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.