What causes sudden pain at back of the neck?

Posted on Tue, 8 Jul 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am experiencing sudden pain in the back of my neck. It is hard to explain, but it feels as though there are air bubbles or tiny pebbles pushing down through the veins or blood vessels, I suppose, of my head, arm, back, and leg (primarily left side). I am 38 years old and in generally good physical health, aside from migraines.

Please note I have had a recent MRI that came back "clean" or negative. I have also been under anesthesia within the past month.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms could be due to pinched nerves.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. The most likely cause of these symptoms could be pinched nerves in the neck region. In any case, this pinching would be minor as your MRI of cervical spine is normal.

If you had a spinal anaesthesia, then, these symptoms could be related to stretching of nerves in the neck region, mainly in sitting and standing position.

We should also exclude vitamin B12 deficiency.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist