• question-icon

What causes sudden loss of consciousness in a 72 year old man?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi. Feinted on street. Probably unaware of surroundings for 60- 90 seconds. Was breathing hard 5-10 minutes prior. Hydration seemed quite effective. 72 year old male 195 pounds. Exercise 4 days/week.
What looks likely?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Loss of consciousness can be due to several causes. The most common are seizures, cardiac causes leading to low blood pressure in the brain, or metabolic changes.

Judging by your description of trouble breathing prior to the fainting I would say that a seizure. They indicate rather a heart related issue as a more probable cause such as heart abnormal rhythm.

So I would focus my evaluation on that direction, with an EKG and if necessary heart ultrasound and 24 hour Holter EKG.

A metabolic issue might also be considered if episode came after exercising or some other cause of dehydration.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist