What causes sudden dizziness and excessive sweating after donating blood?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: 60 yr old male. Gave blood yesterday. Today while working on computer I got really dizzy for about 90 sec. M face got hot and sweaty.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through through the details provided by you i would like to tell you that considering your age and yesterdays blood donation this dizziness could very well be due to weakness from yesterday's blood donation.

Also i would like to know few things about your fitness status:

1. Are you diabetic or hypertensive?
2. Do you smoke?
3. Any other medical history?

If you dont have anything from above mentioned things then its simply because of weakness and it will recover within 24 to 48 hrs. You just need to take rest, eat healthy in small frequent meals, keep yourself hydrated.

I hope this information will be helpful. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 19 hours later
I do take blood pressure medication.
I currently weight 325 pounds. Yo Yo dieter.
Had an acoustic neuroma but hit with the Gamma Knife at Barrows Clinic (1997)
I do not smoke.
Currently losing weight for knee replacement.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the details.

Need not worry for anything just take the precautions as described above, monitor your blood pressure and you will be all up and going.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D