What causes sudden black outs?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, I am having regular twitching accompanied with a XXXXXXX block out. Can you help?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please go to the ER.

Detailed Answer:
Hello - these neurological symptoms are concerning. I think you should go to the ER for neurological evaluation. Please go now. I invite you to let me know how you are doing after you are evaluated and I can provide more information then.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 hours later
Dear Dr. Berger-Durnbaugh, Thank you for your prompt advise. What am I risking and what is the probability of serious consequences if I do NOT go to the ER? Right now it is the most inconvenient. I would like some instructions how to "stay alive". Many thanks,
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
The problem is that we don't know what the underlying cause of your XXXXXXX black-outs are. They could be due to mini-strokes, seizures, or to a heart arrhythmia. Because we don't know what is going on, and because having black outs accompanied by twitching (or is it jerking?), is not at all normal, I think it's important to get answers. I can't answer what is going on without examining you and getting tests. If your symptoms are continuing, I don't think convenience of going to the ER should be a big factor. If your symptoms have resolved and you are doing well now, then it would be ok to stay home.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 days later
Dear Dr. Berger-Durnbaugh,

Thank you for your advice. I am seeing my doctor in about six hours to review my issues.
Meanwhile I am providing some details to allow you to form an opinion.
I had a T.U.R.P. XXXXXXX 2014
My medications:
2x500 MG Metformin
1x40 MG Simvastatin
4x50 MG Sertraline
2x3x100 MG PMS Gabapentin
4x10 MG Propranolol more as needed for tremors
I am dealing with serious anxiety attacks (daily, multiple times)
I hope this helps. I know I should but I cannot at this time go to ER. My job is on the line. I need a doctor to "shore me up".
Many thanks and kind regards,

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly anxiety is causing or increasing your neurological symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sending this information.

I don't want to rule out other causes, but extreme anxiety can, in some cases, cause tremors, twitching, and even black outs.

I am wondering why you are on Gabapentin?
Also, why the Propranolol rather than an anti anxiety medication such as lorazepam?

It's hard for me to be able to address this fully without knowing your past medical history and doing an exam. But I can provide some thoughts.