What causes stress?

Question
I work at the VA hospital in Des Moines Iowa as a food service employee. Right now I am being notified that I am in a position to lose my job because of being absent on the job. this job is high stress, poor management, and a hostile environment work place. I need to keep my job and have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 11 months old. I am now 50 years old. What is the best definition of Stress so I can plead my case and maybe this definition will help me to keep my job and let management know that STRESS plays a major part in how my blood sugars run. XXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Stress is a vague term.
Stress is the body's reaction to a change that requires a physical, mental or emotional adjustment or response. it is highly a subjective phenomenon and we can not quantify or measure it.

It is true that stress adversely affect diabetes control. When we are stessed, body produce couter regulatory horomones like epinephrine, cortisol, norepinephrine and glucogon which acts against insulin. This cause poor diabetes control.

But you may have to discuss the legal applications of stress with a psychiatrist or psychologist or an occupational health physician.

Binu