What causes strep throat after protected intercourse?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi doctor.

i have few concerns

1.I had protected sex with a csw
2.Got strep throat after 2 days

Now my worry is that strep throat is a symptom of ars? i took a hiv test in 14 days and was negative
I dont have fever rash sore throat but I have white pus on tonsil and few lymp node swollen under my jaw not visible but swollen and paining a little can this be ars? My doctor took a throat swab and result came as moderate growth of streptococus .My gp gave me penicllin I am taking it for aound 8 days now but my pus in tonsil is still there only reduced a little.
Can i get ars symptoms in 3 to 5 days? Or is it just strep throat if its strep throat when the pus will go away?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not related to HIV

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
You had protected exposure. So your HIV risk is almost nil. Sore throat, especially streptococcus sore throat can occur to anybody at any point of time. Close intimacy during sex facilitates airborne infection.
Moreover, earliest manifestations of HIV disease can occur in the presence of an infection, is around 4 weeks and not earlier than that. So not to worry. Follow the advice of your physician and get well soon.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 18 hours later
Thanks for the response doctor, Do I need to take a hiv test again or I can leave it
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need for further HIV test, if your sex was completely protected.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
As long as you are confident that your condom was intact during the whole act of intercourse (kept protected), you need not go for further HIV test.
Stay protected in future also.
Dr S.Murugan