What causes stomach problem and sinking feeling in throat while on Ranitidine?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Thu, 25 Feb 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had a stomach problem for some time. I have been taking Ranitidine and Pantoprazole about every second day. At night I cannot lie on my right side for long as I get a sickening feeling in my throat,eases off when I turn over.What action should I take.?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
A Gastroenterologist consultation in-person is the best next step.!!!

Detailed Answer:
Warm Welcomes. I appreciate your trust in HCM and assure you are on best portal on the globe for expert online medical services.
I have thoroughly reviewed health query you raised, and well realize all of those concerns. Being your physician, I will take care all of them today and will extend my expertise to solve the problems.

Keep the headboard end of your bed a bit higher by placing headboard elevators beneath. It will help you sleep better by providing a physical relief from Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). GERD is the name used for this disease which you are suffering from. Actually there is high acidity in stomach and the excess acid refluxes (regurgitates) upwards in the food pipe all the way to the throat and sometime mouth. This is the reason for your uncomfortable situation right now and needs proper evaluation.

I preferably suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist for proper management of the case. Taking Ranitidine and Pantoprazole is just a symptomatic relief. It neutralized the excess acid. We need to see the reason for this high acid formation that may be:
***Stomach infection by a bacteria named H. Pylori. (Serology--blood test and a breath test can be done by your doctor to rule it out. This is treatable once confirmed as a diagnosis).
***Esophagus (foodpipe) issues like anatomical pathologies that have caused the loss of valve mechanism of lower esophageal sphincter that normally keeps stomach acid inside stomach. But in this case there is loss of tone of this sphincter that causes regurgitation of stomach acid.

Your Gastroenterologist will go for some diagnostics like Camera assisted evaluation of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum (a fresh endoscopy--that is mandatory in your case).

Management goes according to the cause. For that time keep a bland diet and refrain from smoking, alcohol, beverages, energy drinks, hot and fried foods, junk food and chocolates, caffeinated drinks etc.

Keep a physical activity as per your ease and choice. Take plenty of plain water to drink. Take vegetables more than meats as meat produces more fixed acids in body.

Ask your Physician to give you a script for DEXILANT for potent relief from the symptoms. Along With that take Citrucel dietary fiber supplements.

Hope I addressed all the concerns you have. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be more than happy to clear any doubts. Please give your 'rating' (if agreed, Five Stars) to help me assist patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to click on 'Close The Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up is necessary regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is a need to change treatment options. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Always write down my name in start of your questions at this forum & I will be with you in no time).

Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina