What causes stomach pain in a child?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: SON HAD STOMACH SURGERY 4. YEARS AGO WHICH HE WAS 6YRS OLD FOR POSSIBLE MECKLES DISEASE
WHEN SURGERY WAS DONE NOTHING WAS FOUND . HE IS NOW 10 AND HAVING SERIOUS STOMACH
PAIN BELOW HIS NAVEL. WHERE SHOULD WE START WE HAVE HAD HIM TO HIS BABY DR. THEY CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANYTHING HAVE A APPOINTMENT WITH HIS SPECALIST ON AUG 20 BUT IT IS SO FAR AWAY WHAT MUST WE DO IN THE MEAN TIME, HE IS IN ALOT OF PAIN AND CRYING. SO WORRIED!!!!
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following causes to stomach pain in a child...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

The pain your son is having below his navel might be related to:
- intestinal parasites: should examine his stool for ova/parasites
- appendicitis: if he is also having nausea, vomiting or fever?
- urinary tract infection : should run urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound
- genital infection (phymosis) in case he is not circumcised: should consult with urologist for possible circumcision

Depending on the tests results, specific treatment will be prescribed. For the moment, you can give him papaverine to ease his pain and lots of fluids (water, juice).

Wish fast recovery! Let me know if I can assist you further!
Dr.Klerida