What causes stomach bloating?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 1 Apr 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Is it possible to gain 7 lbs in less than 24 hours? I can't even button my pants. Seems to be all in the belly. Looks like my belly is swollen. Is it fluid retention? I feel a bit dizzy too.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. It sounds hardly possible to gain such weight in so short period of time. It is possible if you would eat 7 lbs and did not have any stool and urine. Otherwise its impossible. Swollen belly can be caused by fluid retention in the abdominal cavity or by bowels obstruction/constipation. Fluid retention gives usually no abdominal pain at all. The belly button is protruded. Bowels obstruction gives no gas and stool. Abdominal pain and cramps are quite characteristic. I suggest you to visit your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound and blood work done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.