• question-icon

What causes stabbing pain in lower leg?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: what would cause a sharp stabbing pain in the lower leg that is constant pain has been going on for 2 hours now
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
A constant pain in lower leg can be due to-

1. Calf muscle strain and tear - Usually due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in leg exercises may cause these. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild anti inflammatory drugs can help in reducing the symptoms.

2. Prolonged intake of hormonal therapy like oral pills might cause this.

3. Muscle ischaemia- associated with diabetes usually. There is acute pain associated with it.

4. Deep vein thrombosis- comes last among the list of probable diagnosis.

You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon