• question-icon

What causes spotting prior to periods?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

I have a query regarding my periods. I have noticed one thing from past 3 cycle I will have very little spotting (little spot of red blood along with white discharge) a day before my periods and will not have any flow for rest of the day until next 24hrs. and the next day my actual periods will start. is this something I have to worry about. my cycle is of 27 days.

another query is I am trying for second baby since 3 month and no luck. is this again I have to worry about . please advice me when will be my ovulation days.

Thanks in Advance.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is due to normal period variation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting me about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
This spotting 24 hrs.before period is normal physiological variation and there is no need to worry.
If white discharge is not associated with any itching, foul smell and pain then there is no need to worry.
As you are trying for baby and no luck for last 3 months there is no need to worry and took folic acid daily, consume healthy and nutritious diet,do some yoga and do alternate days sex.
In 27 days cycle usually ovulation occurs on 12-13th day of your menstrual cycle and sex before 4-5 days and after 48 hrs.is quite helpful.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN