What causes soreness of tongue?

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My tongue has been sore as if I had burnt it drinking hot tea. It has been like this for 2weeks. I thought it might be caused by red wine, but I have always drank red wine and never had trouble before. Is it possible the wine has caused it or just aggravated it?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Glossitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The soreness of the tongue, also known as glossitis is caused due to various factors. To mention a few:
1. Vitamin deficiency
2. Smoking
3. Consumption of alcohol/hot/spicy food/fizzy drinks, etc.
4. Acid reflux disease
5. Taking pain relievers

Consumption of wine may aggravate the soreness.

You may require oral anti-inflammatory gel such as Triamcilone acetate. Also, you will require multivitamin supplements to boost up the immunity and effective repair of the mucosa. Drink plenty of warm water and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

If the pain persists consult your doctor for a complete evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist