• question-icon

What causes sore throat in an obese person?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 32 - male - caucasian - obese - asthma

I have had a sore throat for a few days. Cough drop does seem to provide some relief for a short awhile. Voice a tad raspy. No problem swallowing. I feel a bit more fatigued than usual but I also changed my diet in the last week to remove caffeine, sugars, etc. as I am trying to lose weight.

The picture with me pointing to my neck is the bony bump - I believe the larynx?

I then use my fingers to isolate the "lump" below it. It seems fairly hard/dense and symmetrical. Is this a normal bump for my neck or is my thyroid or something enlarged? I know its hard to tell from pictures and I am a big guy with a big neck.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The elevation in the picture is Adam's apple. It is absolutely normal.
The symptoms you have mentioned are probably due to Post nasal drip. You are probably having some nasal pathology causing these symptoms. You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and tell me what medicines have u been taking so far?
Cough is caused by the post nasal dripping. This happens as a reflex to clear the throat.
Take steam inhalation and so saline gargles.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 13 minutes later
Thank you Doctor!

My wife noticed the "lump" when I complained of my sore throat. I said it felt normal but I admit I have not studied my neck proportions for some time.

I think you are right that I may be coming down with a cold or something. I have had some anxiety/stress lately so perhaps that combined with a illness is making me feel uneasy.

Currently only taking asthma medication as needed.

Question: Would it get much larger or asymmetrical if it was swollen? How would I know in future? Thanks for your knowledge.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query and the information.
You can compare your present and past pictures to compare it. It is a normal thyroid cartilage hump forming Adam's apple. In case if you feel there is some change, it is advisable to get yourself examined by an ENT SPECIALIST and get an endoscopic examination of the larynx done.
Take a combination of levocetrizine and pseudoephedrine two times a day and a decongestant nasal drops. You will definitely be benefited.
Take steam inhalation.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Wish you get well soon.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist