What causes snoring and breathing difficulty in a child?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My 2 month old seems to snore, and struggle with breathing at times, but at hid pediatrian visits they see nithing wrong. Not sure what to do as the wife and i dobr get much sleep because we are worried he may stop breathing.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may use normal saline nasal drops and room humidifier

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I completely understand your concerns but don't worry. The most common reasons for snoring and struggled breathing is nasal blockage due to secretions. Sometimes it can be due to enlarged nasopharyngeal soft tissues but it can be found on clinical examination. Since there was no clinical pathology on clinical examination by your pediatrician, so the most likely reason seems to be just nasal blockage.

Don't worry. This condition just needs symptomatic treatment. It gradually improves as the baby grows. Most babies become asymptomatic at 3-4 months of age.

I would recommend soft manual nasal suction with nasal normal saline nasal drops (2 drops each nostrils) 4-6 times per day. You may use it more frequently if needed. It doesn't have any side effects even on long term use.

Also, use a room humidifier while sleeping if the weather is dry. Keep baby supine during sleep and avoid smoking in the same room and soft unorganized blankets to cover him.Always burp him well after feeds.

No need to worry. He will be fine.Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.